About Ondo herdsmen relocating to Ekiti forests; Fayemi’s Gov. says its a “figment of the imagination”

About Ondo herdsmen relocating to Ekiti forests; Fayemi's Gov. says its a "figment of the imagination"

Following an eviction order to them in Ondo forest reserves by Governor Rotimi Aketedolu, herdsmen have reportedly relocated to Ekiti state forests for grazing activities.

The State Secretary of the Maize Grower Processing Marketer Association of Nigeria (MAGPAMAN), Tope Emmanuel, raised the alarm during a chat with reporters in Ado-Ekiti on Tuesday.

About Ondo herdsmen relocating to Ekiti forests; Fayemi's Gov. says its a "figment of the imagination"

Emmanuel said some herdsmen invaded a multi-million naira farm at the Aduloju farmstead along Ado-Ijan-Ikare roads in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti state capital, destroying crops worth N10 million.


He stated that the herders with their cattle destroyed the farm belonging to some members of MAGPAMAN with impunity.

Emmanuel stated they had been constantly unleashing terror on the farmers in the area in the last seven days, adding they invaded the farm at night with dangerous weapons.


He explained the affected farmers obtained about N6.6 million loan from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) under anchor borrowers’ programme to plant maize, adding they had incurred losses worth N 10m from the destructive activities of the herders.

He called on Governor Kayode Fayemi and other stakeholders to come to their rescue in saving them from the clutches of the deadly herdsmen and helped in recouping their investment.

Emmanuel said the police, the Amotekun Corps and other security agencies were aware of the incident but couldn’t intervene for reasons best known to them.

When contacted, the Amotekun corps commander, Brig. General Joe Komolafe, who confirmed the development, said: “We are on top of the situation”.

Ekiti govt denies report of herdsmen relocating from Ondo forests

Reacting, the Ekiti State Government said there was no truth in the story.

In a statement made available to newsmen in Ado Ekiti on Wednesday, the State Commissioner for Information and Values Orientation, Hon Akin Omole described the news report as a figment of the imagination of the author and pure speculation most likely originating from the recent security threat in the neighboring Ondo State.

Omole assured residents in Ekiti State of security to their lives and properties adding that relevant security agencies including the State Amotekun Corps are monitoring the State boundaries round the clock.

According to him, the State Government and security operatives are investigating and in control of situation surrounding the only skirmish that occurred at Ago Aduloju at the outskirts of the State capital.

“The State Government sympathises with all those who were affected by this and would like the community to be assured that no efforts will be spared to ensure that Ekiti citizens are able to conduct their affairs in peace, unhindered by criminals of any kind”, Omole stated.

Omole advised the people to disregard all unsubstantiated news reports and go about their lawful endeavors without fear of intimidation or threats to their lives and property.

FADAKA LOUIS
Hey! If you are reading this, then you must have read what I published above. Whether you like it or not, is you feeling at the moment. Don't pass it at me. Jo! ma kora momi. A mo, you are free to express yourself by using the comment section below.