Gunmen, on Friday, attacked venue of a burial ceremony in Ndingbu village, Nnewi South Local Government Area, Anambra State.
It was not clear, however, who was being buried, but it was gathered that the gunmen targeted vigilante operatives who were at the ceremony to provide security.
Sources said the gunmen also went to Utuh community in the same Local Government Area, where they also attacked an office used by vigilante operatives, setting it ablaze and also abducting one person.
Though details of the attacks are still sketchy, the State Police Command’s Spokesperson, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga confirmed the incident.
Ikenga said the Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng has ordered manhunt on the armed men.
He said the operatives ordered to go against the gunmen include Police Mobile Force, Counter Terrorist unit, Special forces and others, who he said are already in the area, and that normalcy had been restored, while operation was still going on.
Website Designing/Management/Social Media – Iyanu Victor
He said: “Although no notification was given to the Police about the planned burial, but information reveals that the Vigilante groups where invited.
“Further details received showed that the miscreants arrived the ceremony and started shooting sporadically in an attempt to disarm the vigilante operatives.
“In another development, the hoodlums also attacked, Utuh Vigilante office, abducted one of the members of staff and set the Viligante Operation vehicle on fire.”
Certified French Tutor in Nigeria with Years of Experience – Ms Blessing Akpan
The Command, however, assured that the police and other security agents are firm in providing security services in the State, while also urging residents of the area to help the police with information that will aid the ongoing operation.
Furthermore, Amaechi Odoh, a resident of the area told PREMIUM TIMES that the gunmen stormed the burial venue and attacked the vigilante operatives said to be members of the Ebube Agu, a government-backed security outfit in the South-east.
He said some residents sustained gunshot injuries in the attack, but that no life was lost.
“They (the family) invited Ebube Agu members to ensure security in the burial. Nobody died, just that bullets hit some persons,” Mr Odoh said.