LASEMA confirms 7 people dead following the July 3 boat mishap

The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said a total of seven people have been confirmed dead at the end of the rescue operation of a boat mishap which happened on July 3.


Oke-Osanyintolu confirmed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the Ipakodo Jetty during the conclusion of the search and rescue operation at Ipadoko Ferry Terminal in Ikorodu.


Recall that Two persons were confirmed dead on that day while two other persons went missing after the 20-passenger capacity boat from Ebute-Ero, Lagos State capsized on Friday night.


Lalek Marine, was traveling from Ebutte-Ero to Ikorodu but capsized at Owode Ibeshe.


The LASEMA boss later disclosed that 10 persons were rescued after violating the nighttime restrictions.


“The owner of the boat is under investigation by marine police, he left the Jetty at a late hour.”

Website Designing/Management/Social Media – Iyanu Victor


“A 20 capacity passenger boat with the name LALEK MARINE is suspected to have left Ebute Ero jetty around 8 p.m. (After approved sailing time which is 6 p.m.), and didn’t arrive st it’s destination which was Ikorodu Terminal. The boat was said to have capsized at Owode Ibeshe, not too far away from Ikorodu,” the statement noted.


As at  2pm on Saturday, Oluwadamilola Emmanuel, an official said that two passengers were still missing and efforts were ongoing to recover their bodies.


Five persons were later confirmed dead.

Certified French Tutor in Nigeria with Years of Experience – Ms Blessing Akpan


On Sunday, two other individuals were confirmed dead, increasing the death toll to seven.


Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, warned the public to obey the safety regulations of the state and abide by restrictions on timing and plying of the waterways.


About 19 passengers and two crew members were aboard the capsized boat, out of which 14 were males and seven females.


According to the final report, four females were recovered on July 3, when the incident happened while two females each were also recovered on July 4 and July 5.

Follow Us On Telegram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *