The area known asMushin today was a thick forest some 800 years ago. Because of its proximity to Èkó, Traders and Hunters ply through the dense forest to get to èbúté.
In this forest, stood a very beautiful and attractive tree called Igi Ìshín (ackee fruit tree), some of the traders who have walked for several days, usually rest under the Ìshín tree. But two hunters who came from different directions first identify this unoccupied forest as their home, they were Odu-Abore from IIe-Ife and Aileru from Benin. Anytime these Hunters want to describe their home, they will say ibi tí a ti n mú Ìshín (where we pick Ìshín) hence its name (mu) as in pick and (Ìshín); Mushin. From hamlets, it grew gradually into a village and then a town.
During the colonial era, Mushin was part of the Ikeja Local Government until it was carved out as a district in 1954. With the Army’s suspension of Political activities in 1966, and the creation of additional district in 1967, Mushin District Council was elevated to a Town Council Status.
The 1976 Local Government Edict divided the council into two, Mushin-West which coversMushin, Agege Motor road, Isolo, Shogunle,Onigbongbo,Ejigbo, Odi Olowo, Mary land, Ilupeju,Cappa Estate; and Mushin East Covered Bariga, Shomolu, and Kosofe.
Later the Lagos state Government changed Mushin East to Shomolu Local Government, while Mushin West became known and addressed as MushinLocal Government. During the civilian regime of Alhaji Lateef Jakanke between (1979-1983) the Local Government was again divided into four Namely; MushinLG, Itire/ikate LG,Oshodi/Isolo LG, and Odi Olowo/Ojuwoye/Onigbongbo LG.
The Military administration of Gbolahan Mudashiru prohibited and abolished the newly created Local Government and reverted to the status quo.
The subsequent creation of Local Government by the Military administration in 1989, saw Mushin losing some of its boundaries to Ikeja and Mainland Local Governments. In 2004, after a referendum, Odi Olowo/Ojuwoye LCDA was carved out of the present MushinLocal Government, with the headquarters at Palm Avenue Mushin.