Mimiko is my enemy for life – Akeredolu
I just watched Sunday Politics on Channels TV now where the outgoing Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, was asked about the status of his relationship with former Governor Olusegun Mimiko and his reply;
“Mimiko and former Chief Judge of Ondo state, Sehinde Kumuyi, are my enemies for life because they chose to support someone else. I hope God will forgive me.”
My question is; why is Aketi sucking? Is it because Mimiko’s Zenith Labour Party now has a candidate? Is it because Mimiko isn’t supporting him for a second term? What exactly is Aketi’s problem with Mimiko?
A look at the timeline of their friendship vis-à-vis politics will help;
- Aketi and Mimiko have been friends since their university days. One was in the SRC while the other was in the SUG.
2. Fast forward to 2012. Mimiko was seeking re-election, having completed his first term as Ondo Governor. Akeredolu did not only contest against (his friend) Mimiko, he sought the backing of Tinubu who spent billions of naira on the project to unseat his friend. Mimiko kept their friendship going and never made Aketi his enemy for life.
3. In 2016, Aketi went as far as rigging the primaries to become candidate of the APC so he could take the state from his friend, now enemy for life… Mimiko never begrudged him. In fact, he kept their friendship going.
4. Still in 2016, Akeredolu used the Federal Government and Jimoh Ibrahim to remove Eyitayo’s name, Mimiko’s annointed candidate, from the ballot. Aketi forcefully and diabolically took the state from his friend. An election that almost cost Mimiko his life and political estate. Mimiko never made him his enemy for life.
5. Despite the fact that Aketi desperately wanted Mimiko’s job in 2016, Mimiko gave Aketi a lift in his chartered flight when he (Aketi) was stranded at the Akure Airport and running out of deadline to submit his nomination form in Abuja. Infact, he begged Mimiko to allow him sit in the toilet if he could not get a seat aboard the jet to Abuja.
Mimiko also attended Aketi’s birthday shortly before the 2016 election because he believed that politics apart, they were not enemies
Mimiko has been so so so so kind to Aketi such that people insinuated he sold out the 2016 election to his ungrateful friend
- In 2019, Mimiko contested for Senate under ZLP, Aketi didn’t only support another candidate but also campaigned vigorously against Mimiko and even removed some of Mimiko’s billboards in Ondo town. Mimiko never made him his enemy for life.
7. Two weeks after Mimiko lost the Senatorial election, Akeredolu, Fayemi and Omisore came to seek Mimiko’s support for the state Assembly election. Because he already sensed an imminent defeat, Aketi made all the promises to Mimiko both realistic and unrealistic. He never fulfilled any. Mimiko didn’t make him his enemy for life.
8. Akeredolu deceived Mimiko that he was going to nominate him for ministerial appointment. Mimiko had even gone for security screening but at the eleventh hour, Akeredolu betrayed his friend and settled for Alasoadura. Mimiko never made him his enemy for life.
9. Aketi decided to suspend the two lawmakers in Ondo West for not supporting the unconstituitional impeachment of Agboola. He attempted to move UNIMED from Ondo. He didn’t construct one meter of road in Ondo where Mimiko is like an institution. What will he tell his people? How will he campaign for Aketi in Ondo? No way!
10. On governance; how will Mimiko campaign for Akeredolu?
(i) Akeredolu increased school fees from 25k to 200k.
(ii) From free healthcare during Mimiko, Akeredolu asked pregnant women to be paying 50k. Now, Ondo moved from lowest in maternal mortality indices to one of the highest.
(iii) The Free school Shuttle buses no longer work.
(iv) Akeredolu is running a family government, something Mimiko never encouraged. Infact, Mimiko’s children were neither seen nor heard. They were like children of the ordinary folks.
Akeredolu is a betrayer… He betrayed Mimiko and the masses. He is the real ene my of the people. Vote him out on October 10.
Oshinle Quarters Akure