Over 200 persons hospitalised in Kano after inhaling Expired Industrial Gas

No fewer than 200 residents of Sharada Quarters in Kano State were, on Friday, hospitalised after inhaling chemicals from a cylinder dismantled by metal scrappers.


Following the incident, the victims were rushed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Sharada Industrial Hospital and Ja’en Hospital, for urgent medical attention.


The Territorial Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency in Kano, Nuradeen Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in Kano on Saturday.

el blends weight loss and diet


“The cylinder chemical explosion occurred on Friday at about 4:00pm, at Sharada Industrial Area.


“The victims were suffocated and unconscious,” he said.


It was gathered that the victims collapsed and became unconscious after inhaling toxic substances from the cylinder dismantled by some metal scrappers.

Website Designing/Management/Social Media – Iyanu Victor


He said the chemicals contained in the cylinder escaped into the air and made those who inhaled it become unconscious.


Speaking on the incident, the Chief Medical Director of Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Dr Hussaini Muhammad, said they received over 70 victims out of which 65 were now in stable condition.


“Thirty-five victims received treatment at Sharada Industrial Hospital and 96 at Ja’en Hospital,” he added.

Certified French Tutor in Nigeria with Years of Experience – Ms Blessing Akpan


Meanwhile, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Faruk, had visited the victims at the hospital.


She was represented by the Humanitarian Affairs Permanent Secretary, Dr Nasir Sani-Gwarzo.


She commended the hospitals managements, NEMA, SEMA and the Nigerian Red Cross, for their prompt response and support to the victims during the incident.

Phones/Laptops/CCTV Installations – iHouse


The Minister gave assurance that the ministry would support the victims.

Follow Us On Telegram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.