Here are some real facts about Igbos and Igboland that most of you hardly observe, think about or totally ignore.
1) Finding a bungalow in Onitsha is like looking for a fish in a desert.
2) Onitsha has more multi-storey buildings than a combination of Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti and Osun all put together.
3) Owerri has the most concentration of hotels, clubs and bars per square meter in Nigeria.
4) Onitsha is the most densely populated city in Nigeria outside Lagos.
5) Enugu in 2014 made the list of Most resilient cities in the world and the first in Nigeria.
6) Owerri and Aba have the most organized city masterplan, initiated by former governor Sam Mbakwe of old imo state. Sadly Aba has been left to rot, due to bad governance.
7) Anambra state has the best urban and rural road network of any state in Nigeria.
8) For the past 10yrs, Anambra, IMO, Abia, Enugu, are the leading states in WAEC, NECO and JAMB, and are also the leading states with NYSC passouts.
9) Imo, Anambra, Delta presently have the most PhD holder and Professors in Nigeria.
10) By premiumtimes report, IMO, Anambra and Delta are the leading states for law admission for the past 5yrs, while Imo, Anambra, Delta and Enugu are leading for medicine admission.
11) Anambra Imo and Enugu have the highest cut off mark for admission into federal unity schools and colleges, yet these states produce the most graduates from those colleges. For Anambra, it is 139, Imo 138, Enugu 134.
12) In 2017, Igbo students dominated the list of graduates in Engineering and medicine departments in covenant university.
13) In any city, town or village you enter outside Igboland in Nigeria, after the indigenous language speakers, the next are the Igbos.
14) Igbos are the largest diaspora Nigerians in any country in the world except in the UK, where the yorubas hold sway.
15) University of Nigeria Nsukka, has the most influential alumni of any university in Nigeria.
16) Owerri has the highest concentration of beautiful girls of any city in Nigeria.
17) Onitsha main market in Anambra state and Ariaria market in Aba Abia state remain the biggest commodity markets in west Africa.
18) Igboland has the biggest and most influential Football and Nollywood stars in Nigeria.
19) Onitsha houses the highest concentration of multi storey apartments per square meter in Sub-Saharan Africa.
20) In 2018, National Inland Waterways Authority(NIWA), reported that 60 Per Cent Of Cargo In Nigeria Goes to Onitsha.
21) Portharcourt, Owerri, Enugu and Asaba airports are the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th busiest airports in Nigeria respectively.
22) Uli airport in present day Anambra state was the first indigenously built airport in black Africa. Built by the Biafrans during the civil war. Though a makeshift airport, it served its purpose during the civil war but was destroyed after the war.
23) Imo Airport is the only indigene built and the first state owned airport in Nigeria. Built from contributions and donations from Indigenes (then Imo and Abia). Initiated under the leadership of Sam Mbakwe, but officially commenced operation in 1991.
Proudly Igbo 👏🏾