When you go to a pool party of poolside you’ll notice that a good number of the people present can’t even swim, they just wear their bikinis and wrappers and just sit at the edge of the pool and waddle their feet in the water.
Haven’t you thought of learning how to swim so you can enjoy the full pool experience?
If you haven’t thought of it here’s why you should consider it;
1 . It’s a survival skill; especially when you live in Lagos, the floods should be enough motivation to make you want to know how to survive in water. Sometimes it takes just two hours of heavy downpour and a pool is already formed.
Now you don’t need to go to the beach or pool to swim, the pool is formed in our homes after a short rain.
2 . It’s a fun way to exercise
Maybe you don’t like to jog or skip and lift weights but you do want to get in shape or lose some weight. Maybe the dieting isn’t giving you the desired results or your wallet doesn’t support the kind of food you want to eat to lose weight. So why don’t you take some swimming lessons?
I mean depending on the place it’s cheaper than gym registration and though you may be scared of the water after one or two lessons you will realize how fun and interesting it can be. Get those muscles toned and lose that belly fat by just moving around in the water.
3. You could earn money
You may be considering a part-time job or something to do that will be worth your while. Then why don’t you consider learning how to swim? No skill is useless you can always teach it to others at a fee.
That could be a way to earn you some weekend money or some pocket allowances because I repeat no skill is useless it will surprise you with the number of people who also want to learn.
So don’t waste much time if you’re seeing this post this is your cue to register and start buying your swimsuits and glasses who knows you might even win a medal for your country!
Swimming is a great recreational activity for people of all ages. Recreational swimming can provide you with a low-impact workout and it’s a good way to relax and feel good.
Common swimming styles in recreational swimming are:
Health benefits of swimming
Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water.
Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
- keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
- builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- helps you maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- tones muscles and builds strength
- provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
Other benefits of swimming
Swimming has many other benefits including:
- being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
- alleviating stress
- improving coordination, balance and posture
- improving flexibility
- providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
- providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day
- being available in many places – you can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams and rivers. Make sure that the environment you choose to swim in is safe.