In an interview with Reno Omokri, a Nigerian political commentator and social activist Wednesday, Nigerian musician Naira Marley addressed allegations surrounding the untimely demise of his former signee, Mohbad.
Mohbad who died on September 12, 2023 was formerly signed to Naira Marley’s Marlian Music where he is best known for his hit singles like Feel Good, and KPK (Ko Por Ke) with Rexxie.
As investigation is still taking place by the Nigerian Police, many would remember the artist towards his final years and the controversy that surrounded him when he split from Naira Marley’s Marlian Record in 2022.
Naira Marley and Mohbad had a complex relationship during his time at Marlian Records. However, their relationship took a sour turn for the worse in 2022, leading to Mohbad’s departure from the label.
Here are key takeaways from the online interview Naira Marley had with Reno Omokri.
- Naira Marley stated that he had spoken to Mohbad, who had previously accused him and the Marlian Music group of responsibility for his troubles. According to Naira Marley, Mohbad had apologised to him after their conversation. He also revealed that he had reached out to Mohbad during a troubling period, offering support and advice regarding mental health concerns.
- The artist vehemently denied engaging in fisticuffs with Mohbad or sending anyone to attack him. This comes in the wake of videos depicting Mohbad with body scars allegedly resulting from altercations with members of the Marlian Music group. He said that he was already out of the country during the time of Mohbad’s death and would not have had anything to do with it given the distance.
- The strained relationship between Mohbad and Naira Marley had been ongoing since Mohbad left the Marlian Music label in 2022. Naira Marley clarified that he had not received any share of Mohbad’s music royalties since his departure.
- Regarding DJ Splash’s accusations of causing his illness, Naira Marley clarified that he hadn’t officially sign DJ Splash and that any affiliation was limited to taking pictures together. He asserted that DJ Splash’s illness did not originate during his time in Naira Marley’s home.
- When asked about returning to Nigeria to assist in the investigation, Naira Marley indicated that he would only do so if the police could guarantee his safety. He emphasized distancing himself and Marlian Music from individuals he believes may have caused harm to Mohbad.
Naira Marley’s interview sheds light on the complex dynamics surrounding Mohbad’s tragic death and the artist’s stance on the allegations against him.
Earlier, Perez Medcare Hospital stated that Ilerioluwa Aloba aka Mohbad was already dead when he was brought into their facility.
The hospital explained that, contrary to reports spreading online, the singer did not pass away in its facility.
In a statement posted on its Instagram page on Monday night, the hospital also refuted reports that the singer had been admitted.
“The attention of the management of Perez Medcare Hospital has been drawn to the misleading and false information being circulated in some social media platforms that Mr. Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba (AKA Mohbad) died in our medical facility,” the statement read.
“We consider it pertinent to put on record that at about 04:30pm on September 12, 2023, the lifeless body of Mr. Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba (AKA Mohbad) was brought to our medical facility and our medical team immediately sprang into action and after assessment, it was discovered that there was no sign of life, no central or peripheral pulse, no heartbeat, no recordable vital signs and his pupils were fixed and dilated.
“On attempting CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation), rigor mortis (stiffening of some parts of the body in relation to death) was observed and the persons who brought him to our facility were informed that it was a case of BID (Brought in dead).
“Upon enquiry about the circumstances leading to the emergency, our team was informed that the deceased was being treated at home by a nurse and that she administered injections on him.
“Our team thereafter advised that the body be taken to the nearest Government Hospital where he can be deposited in the morgue.
“Let it be known that Mr. Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba (AKA Mohbad) was not a patient of Perez Medcare Hospital and was never admitted at our hospital at any material time whatsoever.
“Also, the nurse who was said to be administering treatment on him at home is not a staff of Perez Medcare Hospital and the video of the medical facility circulating In the media space in which the late Mr. Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba (AKA Mohbad) is seen alive and receiving treatment is not Perez Medcare Hospital.”