DELTA STATE COVID-19 SITUATION ROOM: UPDATE ON HOLDING, ISOLATION AND TREATMENT CENTRE VISIT.
Hospital (Isolation Centres) visited;
1. Federal Medical Centre, Asaba
2. Warri Central Hospital, Warri.
3. Ughelli Central Hospital, Ughelli.
Hospitals visited had a clearly defined section identified as the COVID-19 ISOLATION CENTRES and the following observation were made.
At the Federal Medical Centre, Asaba. There was a newly built facility that houses the Asaba COVID-19- Holding, Isolation and treatment centres. There was a clearly defined protocol to handling all COVID-19 patient. The Centres facilities and personnel are prepared to contain the pandemic.
Federal Medical centre Asaba, currently has a Molecular Testing Mobile Facility that was purchase by the Delta State Government.
At Warri Central Hospital, the facility is small and can not handle an upsurge of Covid 19 cases in Warri and Environs.
The facility is below standard.
There was no clear or established medical protocol in handling covid 19 patients at this centre.
There is no holding centre at the facility and the Isolation and Treatment centre are clearly housed in the same facility.
Medical Personnel at the COVID-19 centre needs more training specifically on how to handle covid 19 cases.
No testing facility at this centre.
This centre is not prepared for COVID-19 cases.
There are no Protective medical kits for medical personnel at the centre.
No clearly defined protocol to handle covid 19 cases.
Medical personnel at this centre needs training specifically on how to handle COVID-19 cases.
There is no testing facility at this centre.
Based on our observations above we hereby recommend the following;
1. Testing centres should be established immediately at the Warri and Ughelli Isolation centres, this will allow for early detection and quick isolation of cases.
2. Medical personnel need to be enlightened regularly on best practice of handling COVID-19 cases.
3. Protective medical kits need to be provided for Ughelli central hospital and other isolation centres.
4. Approved protocols from NCDC for handling of Covid 19 cases from Holding centre, Isolation and Treatment centre should be strictly enforced in all Delta State Isolation centres.
5 Life insurance should be provided for Covid 19 medical personnel. Social distancing should be enforced in all medical centres.
6. The state government should address the complains of harassment and intimidation medical personnel by security agencies during the just concluded 4 weeks lockdown.
7. State government should disclose what they have spent since the covid 19 pandemic to her citizens.
8. There should be a clearly defined government action plan for the covid 19 pandemic and should be available to citizens.
Comrade Victor Ojei
Delta State COALITION OF CIVIL SOCIETIES AND NGO’s COVID 19 Situation Room.