There is a heavy presence of security operatives at the Gani Fawehinmi Park in Ojota, Lagos, the proposed venue of the Yoruba nation rally by separatist agitators.
The Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) are stationed at the Park alongside men of the Department of State Services (DSS) who are at the venue with scores of patrol vans, heavy anti-riot gun trucks and Black Marias.
No Yoruba nation agitator has been seen at the venue as of 09am while vehicular movement and business activities continue uninterrupted along the axis.
The Lagos State Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, was also seen with his men at the venue.
Odumosu’s men had on Friday embarked on a show of force in the state to warn agitators and Yoruba nation separatists against any form of rally slated to hold in the nation’s economic capital today.
Following Thursday raid of the house of Yoruba rights activist Sunday Adeyemo also known as Sunday Igboho by the Department of State Services, the activist, who has been declared wanted by the secret police for allegedly stockpiling arms, had suspended the Lagos rally.
But the umbrella body of Yoruba Self-Determination Groups, Ilana Omo Oodua, led by Second Republic Senator, Banji Akintoye, had said there was no going back, adding that “It is the duty of Police to ensure the rally is not hijacked by hoodlums”.
“Our rally scheduled to hold on Saturday will still hold without any fear or intimidation and we promise to be peaceful like we have always been,” the Akintoye-led body wrote in a letter to the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hakeem Odumosu; and Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Akintoye, Igboho and their apostles have been going across the South-West geopolitical zone to crusade their secessionist campaign, citing injustice meted out to the people of the region as well as worsening insecurity as reasons for their agitation but the Federal Government has insisted on the unity and indissolubility of Nigeria.
But Odumosu had sent a warning signal to the organisers of the said mega rally to desist from the protest.
In a live Facebook broadcast on Friday Koiki maintained that the rally would hold as planned, adding that Igboho would be back stronger.
He had said, “I can still confirm officially that the Lagos rally, irrespective of whatever news or rumours you’ve been listening to from different outlets, will go as planned. The 3rd of July mega rally will go on as planned. All arrangements for the rally have been planned and nothing has changed.
“I have spoken to the organisers, nothing has changed so far. On 3rd of July from exactly 9am [the rally will start]. The whole arrangement and planning are going on. I’ve spoken with the General Secretary of Ilana Omo Odua, George Akinola and Emeritus Professor Banji Akintoye and he (Akintoye) is working tirelessly for the release of those taken away.
“The rally in Lagos is going to be a peaceful rally, it is going to be a mega rally, do not be disturbed about what happened. So many developments took place at Igboho’s house.”